LANDSCAPES OF THE MIND LIKE THE SONG OF A BIRD GO FORTH INTO THE WORLD

a life full of art

A number of years ago, I bought a jar of Flight Cream and rubbed it on my face. In all it has been an adventure, this flight of mine, a never ending pleasure where I see art and beauty in all of the moments of my life, well, almost all of the moments, I wish you could have some flight cream, too. They stopped making it, you know.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Residue

Thinking about residue right about now. I am waiting for my kitchen floor to dry. It seems that if my floors are clean and I can walk barefoot then I might have a chance to be a little happy that day.
I flit around time; one tense and another like that yellow butterfly does do.
Yesterday, I never wore shoes. I would push the baby stroller everywhere with my bare feet showing and touching. Touching everything. I never got sick. I never had fungus. No residue from my walking ever hurt anything. I did have to scrub. My feet. Why is it that now, today, my floors have to be so clean?
My first husbands father used to say that if he saw me with shoes upon  my feet he would declare me
"grown-up?"
He passed on to another space and time and left me before that ever happened. But, he did give me his blessing to marry the man I love, now.
It is startling like the time in Alborg, Denmark, my ancestral homeland, when I did not know that I was not supposed to wear a bathing suit in the sauna. This thought sticks to me. Bare feet. . .not a problem. . .but bare body? Those darling Swedish boys who were in Alborg for the weekend thought I was pretty strange.
Have you ever been grabbed by a spider web? Unbelievably strong and sticky residue?


2 comments:

  1. I never wear shoes in the house. My Mother never went without shoes. She loved shoes. So do I. I guess i just don' like to wear them. I should display them on a shelf. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, you should. Rudi Riffkind used to keep a large basket beside her front door. In it you would find Japanese slippers in various sizes. Someone did a needlepoint pillow with a pair of high heel shoes and a red line through it. No shoes in her house.
    I stuff the Ralph Lauren red boots with Christmas decorations during the holiday season and place them by the front door. There they sit unless I go to a party or something.
    You could do an art piece about that?

    ReplyDelete